The purpose of the Pastel Guild of Europe is to strengthen connections and friendships between pastel artists across Europe, to inform, enjoy and delight in the beautiful artist's medium of pastels, and to be a support and resource for artists and groups of artists.
You are warmly welcome to join the PGE. We use guild ranks for the different membership levels. Any person who is 18 years of age, and agrees to the above statement, is welcome to become an Apprentice member. This membership level is meant for beginners who are learning the medium and/or learning to paint, for supporters, or for those who want to try out membership in the Guild. The Journeyer (a gender neutralized form of journeyman) level is for the artist who aims to be professionally serious about their art and have attained certain skills with the medium. This is a juried membership. A Signature member is a highly skilled pastellist who has contributed to the PGE. This is also a juried membership.
We have a monthly members-only online competition, the Get Dusty (holiday periods excluded). The winner will feature on the frontpage of our website and on our FB page. The winner also gets his/her own forum thread. He/She receives a prize of pastels, a nice certificate and a winner article in our online magazine, the Pastel Scribbler.
Information about the subscription and the payment is here: The Subscription to a PGE - Membership
All welcome. Fee: 15 Euro/year
To join PGE, click on 'Subscription to a PGE - Membership'. Follow the steps given. Do try to pay immediately; if we do not receive payment within two weeks, your registration will be cancelled. When we have received your payment, your membership will be approved, and you will have access to the website.
- Participation in our monthly member competition, the Get Dusty
- All your Get Dusty entries will be shown in a public long term gallery
- Receive our online pastel magazine, the Pastel Scribbler; besides presenting the Get Dusty winners and the judges' comments, our magazine contains articles about exhibitions, demos by well-known pastel artists and much more
- Welcome to publish articles in our pastel magazine
- An extensive members-only archive with articles about pastel painting techniques
- Networking with other experienced pastel artists in our artist forum
- A public profile with link to your website and your personal gallery with 3 images of artwork
- Access to our photo library (LIB); a collection of free reference photos from members for members
- Membership via PGE of IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies)
- Voting right in the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
A juried membership level. Fee: 30 €/year
Apprentice members can apply for Journeyer level any time during the year. If accepted, the difference between the Apprentice fee and the Journeyer fee will have to be paid by applicant. The system calculates this on a pro rata basis. When/if you are granted the Journeyer membership, you will get information about how to proceed, and you will be given the means to upgrade your member level in your profile/subscriptions.
Same as above, with the below additions:
A personal gallery with 6 images of artwork
May enter IAPS shows and contests. Be sure to sign up for the IAPS newsletter on the IAPS site!
Eligible to committees
Eligible to board
Welcome to submit tutorials, demos and advertise for workshops
A juried membership level. Fee: 30€/year
A PGE Signature member not only has to be an experienced and highly skilled pastellist, but someone who actively contributes to PGE by sitting on commitees, writing articles, moderating in the forum, helping with the website, finding sponsors etc.This type of membership has to be earned. The board will meet once a year and consider which journeyer members deserve to be promoted to signature status. The candidates will then be contacted and asked to apply by sending in an artist statement, listing their artistic achievements (winning the Get Dusty, being juried into exhibitions, teaching pastel painting etc.)The final decision will be made by a jury of members of the PGE board who will later be joined by PGE signature members.
add PGE to your signature
a bio page on the PGE website
a personal gallery with 10 images of artwork